Posted to rec.woodworking
Rumpty

Default Magic Moulder Evaluation on the Radial Arm Saw

"David" wrote in message
Pardon my ignorance of the capabilities of a RAS, but wouldn't a molder
hanging from a RAS head create vibration, movement and CHATTER because the
head can never be made rigid enough to remain 100% motionless in relation
to the table?

The flywheel action of the Magic Moulder produces a very smooth finish.
Take a look at the hard maple sample I put on ABPW, do you see any chatter
there? It produced the best finish of the 3 systems I tested against. The
poorest finish BTW was the "Sears" set up because there isn't enough mass
there to eliminate chatter.

A table saw's arbor doesn't move in relation to the table and consequently
I get superb results from a Sears molder when used on my Unisaw.

Perhaps for moulding on a board face, but you really can't tilt the arbor
very far on the TS to produce out of position moulding. The RAS can be
positioned anywhere for many many profiles. For edge shaping on the TS the
board needs to remain vertical to the table and you have lousy control of
your board. On the RAS the board remains flat and you can see the cut in
progress.

Keep in mind, foks have been making moulding of the RAS for years, it's a
great tool for moulding that can't be produced any way else with out
expensive machinery. If you are interested in using the RAS for moulding,
join us on the RAS forum http://forums.delphiforums.com/woodbutcher/start
and purchase a copy of the Mr. Sawdust book "How To Master The Radial Saw"
http://mrsawdust.com it's a superb book for using the RAS for moulding.

This is a serious post; please don't be flip. g

Dave

You do have quite a reputation David.

R.