Roy Hauer

Default Turning disc of phenolic

I really don't know. It sort of resembles it in smell though. The
linen or canvas lamiunated stuff is supposedly made with formaldehyde.
Thats whats supposed to be so bad for you. I have some nice piece of
this stuff, from 1/16" thick to 3" thick, and everything in between,
some in 36 x 36 inch sheets, and some sheets a lot larger. It used to
be a mainstay in aircraft, but its nbot quite a popular as it used to
be. No matter what, I still like working and using this stuff.

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 04:23:40 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

x-Roy Hauer writes:
x-
x- Becarefull of that phenolic your using as its known to be a
x- carcinogenic material the dust / smell is highly irritable to nasal
x- cavities and lungs. It was so much of a hassle to just even drill the
x- stuff where I used to work with having to have special ventilaors etc
x- that we soon just stopped doing anything with it in house.
x-
x-Isn't Formica made from phenolic? You sure get a lot of it airborne when
x-trimming countertops.

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com