Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Default Question on starter size

glensmith wrote:
Hi,

The largest load will be a 10HP (+ 1HP feed motor) wide belt sander. It
will have a heavy starting load due to the inerta of the steel rolls. I
will also want to run a 3HP dust collector at the same time. The smallest
load will be 1.5HP. So everything from 1.5 to 14HP at one time.

In that case I would look for a larger starter.

For idlers I have a 15HP, a 10Hp, a 7.5, and a 5HPavailable. I believe
(hoping!!) that I can get away with 15HP of idler. Have max of 60amp 240
single phase supply but I am going to try with 50amp first (much less work).

My guess is that you'll probably get away with a 15 hp idler if your
convertor is well balanced. Don't take this as fact, though: ask Jerry
Martes or Bob Swinney. They seem to be the phase convertor experts in
this group.

Of course you can also build a prototype phase convertor quickly, check
that it does what you want, and then build a housing for it.

Best wishes,

Chris