William G Darby

Default DIY Sheet metal brake. (how to make one)

"richard" wrote in message
om...
"William G Darby" wrote in message news:

Actually my latest problem is to get 100, 1 by 16 by 1/8th" and 100 , 2

by
16 by 1/8" bent into 8 by 8" "L" shaped brackets and I was thinking of
using this idea in conjunction with a milling vise as a clamp to do the
bends?? We'll see.

A friend of mine who repairs cars found a biiiig flypress in his
hedge,
he scounged some offcut's of pressbrake[?] tooling and it is very
effective,
He was intending on just doing the odd repair panel but he has done
brakets for shelving and all sorts of stuff, all his scrap metal had
bends in it;-)
A hinged bender is very easy to make the only thing is the bit's needs
to be very ridgid to hold a precise radius, if you try and make
repeatable bends with a floppy bender it's real grief, especially if
they have to fit together.
I knocked up a short bender to do some chassis patches IIRC it's some
bit's of 1/4" 2"x2" angle and it was ok bending 12 swg sheet about
eight inches long.
I used the same priciples on a folder to do 6 feet 20 swg aluminium
sheet.
www.integerspin.co.uk/folder.html or maybe .htm

Thanks Richard

Enjoyed your site!

The hinge bender plan is nice and straight forward. I know what you mean by
having to have a rigid set up in order to get good bends. That's why I am
partial to using the milling vise as a means of clamping the work. At the
moment I have 12" by 2" jaws in my 6" Kurt type (Indian) vise and my thought
was to just add a hinge to the end of the non moving jaw that way the vise
would do the clamping. Anyway it's still mulling around in my head.

Thanks !!
Bill

I like the magnabender - aussie thing with an electromagnet- the
hinges are very neat, they are clear of the bend center. you can get
the drawings for the hinges from the pattent office.

--
richard