Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
Robert Hallsey

Default HOAs - your opinions?

(Todd H.) wrote:

writes:
If you are going to spend a good deal of money on a house, you
should have free reign over the decisions concerning the house.

How excited would you be about that free rein if your idiot neighbor
decides to exercise it by putting at 1950's automobile up on blocks in
the driveway for 5 months,

Wouldn't there be local ordinances against that?

decides that mowing their lawn is so
1990's, and paints their house lime green the same year you decide to
sell your house?

But, see, there we go down the slippery slope. Sure, no cars in blocks in
the driveway for five months, anybody can get behind that.

But not painting your house the color you want? Where does it end?

Pretty soon, the neighborhood busy-bodies are dictating the color of your
drapes and prohibiting you from putting in your window a sign supporting a
political candidate.

I'll tell you one thing. One of the places in the US with the highest
property values (considering what you get) is San Francisco. Here, a 1,200
sq. ft. 3bd/1ba house built in the 20s and not updated since that kitchen
job in the 70s will easily get $800-1,000k.

And what color are the houses? Every color. We're kinda famous for that
because we have people from so many countries living here, and each country
has a different idea of what looks good.

Here you see houses painted neon green with purple trim, or industrial
high-gloss yellow with the trim the same color, or black (jet black) with
orange trim, or even with aluminum paint. Seriously. You walk down the
street and it's, like, did someone slip me a hit of acid in my Coke? No,
that's really the color they are.

And it doesn't seem to hurt property values.