Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Carpet vs hardwood for home sale?

Ken Korona wrote:

I'm planning on selling my home this spring. Currently I'm doing a lot of
work to put it in as good shape as possible. The entire house has hardwood
flooring (common 2 1/2 inch wide oak). Currently the living room, dining
room, and master bedroom are carpeted over the hardwood. The carpet is in
pretty skunky condition, not terribly worn, but very dirty. I've had
carpet cleaners come in and it makes it a little better, but there's still a
lot of stains.

Hardwood floors are always a feature, whether covered or not. I sure
would not put down new carpet or refinish the floor unless it is a real
buyer's market there. If you know the entire floor is in good shape,
might consider taking up carpet in dining room or whatever is stained
worst, or just pull up a corner so it can be seen. If you go to the
trouble and cost of refinishing, you may end up with a buyer who wants
to slap carpet down on top of it. We have a condo neighbor who tore up
5 rooms of brand new laminate wood flooring to put down tile when he
purchased the unit )