Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

Default cistern re-filling noise doesnt stop.

In article ,
RK276 wrote:
Hi all.

I've noticed recently my toilet has been making a quiet sound of water
refilling, even when full.

After a flush and a full refill of water into the cistern (loud) the unit
makes the sound it does when refilling, but more quietly.

I take the lid off the cistern and the black plastic pump thingy inside
sounds like its passing water or something, just queitly though, I cant put
my finger on it.

Is water flowing into the overflow pipe? Vertical pipe around an inch
in diameter, usually has a rubber tube from the fill valve stuck into it
of clipped onto it. If you lift up the float does the water stop?

If so, adjust the float to shut the water off at a lower level. If its
a float on an arm bend the arm down a bit. Make sure its not binding
anywhere. If its a float integral with the fill valve, move the float
down on its guides (wire with a clip along it) a bit.