Posted to alt.home.repair
John Willis

Default Carpet vs hardwood for home sale?

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:44:56 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
scribbled this interesting note:

"Ken Korona" wrote in message
I'm planning on selling my home this spring. Currently I'm doing a lot of
work to put it in as good shape as possible. The entire house has
hardwood flooring (common 2 1/2 inch wide oak). Currently the living
room, dining room, and master bedroom are carpeted over the hardwood. The
carpet is in pretty skunky condition, not terribly worn, but very dirty.
I've had carpet cleaners come in and it makes it a little better, but
there's still a lot of stains.

So my question is what should I do with the flooring to improve
saleability the most? I guess my choices a

1. just get the carpet cleaned

2. install new carpet

3. remove the carpet and refinish the underlying hardwood flooring.

SNIP

I have always been told to NEVER spend money on selling a house. Do MINOR
cosmetic improvements but NEVER major renovations. If you still think you
need to, go with the hardwood floors....

Good advice, as far as it goes. How about this instead?

When selling a house, spend every dollar that will gain you, over and
above the dollar spent, higher sales prices. When you hit the point
where the next dollar you spend to fix up your home only results in
one more dollar on the sales price, you need to stop.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)