Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Default Early 19th Century Tools - What do you think?

"Rodger" writes:

I acquired a toolbox and some tools that seem to be from the early
1800's. If you're interested in seeing them and perhaps commenting on
them, please visit http://www.netcrafting.com/tools. I would really
appreciate knowing what some of these are for. If you're so inclined,
let me know if you think they're valuable at all. Thanks!

It's junk. I'll buy it off you for $5. :-)

Seriously it looks like a great set. You suck. :-)

You are close in many of your guesses. I can't comment on the age.

#54 - bevel gauge
#61 - square
#40 - I think this is a cutting gauge - like #50, but made to make
accurate cuts a set distance from the edge. Or perhaps a router.
It looks like you can set the depth of the cut, but I don't see
how you can change the distance from the edge.

#52 - thread cutter
#50/51 - marking gauge.

Here are modern versions of 54, 61 and 50
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=424

As you can see - they look very similar.

I'm not sure what that T-shapped thing is in #62
And the sharp L-shaped object in #42?