Posted to rec.woodworking
deadlock

Default Early 19th Century Tools - What do you think?

"Rodger" wrote in message
ups.com...
I acquired a toolbox and some tools that seem to be from the early
1800's. If you're interested in seeing them and perhaps commenting on
them, please visit http://www.netcrafting.com/tools. I would really
appreciate knowing what some of these are for. If you're so inclined,
let me know if you think they're valuable at all. Thanks!

" Unknown type of wood and steel tool that looks like it would cut grooves
or something " looks to be a marking gauge, albeit one of a design no longer
seen. More usual to see one along the lines of a mortise gauge, which brings
us neatly to...
" Wood device that looks like it would be some kind of setup tool. The
thumbscrew turns, but the metal it connects to doesn't slide and I think it
should. " which is, as my woodwork teacher would no doubt have said, our
friend the mortise gauge.

Like anything of this ilk, as far as worth goes, it's safest to say they're
worth what anybody is willing to pay for them.