Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default Early 19th Century Tools - What do you think?

On 17 Dec 2005 13:35:05 -0800, "Rodger"
wrote:

I acquired a toolbox and some tools that seem to be from the early
1800's.

Early 20th century, and not desperately early at that. Tools like the
steel ratchet brace with the jawed chuck are almost recent ! (mid
century) - an older one would be wooden, with brass reinforcing plates
on a good one, wouldn't have a ratchet and would have a button to lock
the (notched) drill shanks rather than a chuck. The other tools are
attractive examples, seem to be in good condition, but don't strike me
as especially old (not even pre-1900). The "thread box" does just what
you describe - it cuts a spiral thread.

As to the nameplate on the toolbox, is that aluminium? It's awfully
rust free if it's steel. That would date it to post WW1, most likely.

I'm no expert on US flags, but if that's an old pattern flag then I
think that your past owner was a flag buff more than someone
contemporary.