Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Default engineering calculation needed

SteveB wrote:
"Christopher Tidy" wrote

I would want to give the upper support (where the davit is attached to the
building) some careful thought.

I will have a saddle made out of plate. It will start with a piece 30" x
17". Rectangles will be cut from two corners so that when it is bent, it
forms a channel saddle 5" wide for 30" long with two 6" legs that are 18"
long. This will be bolted through three 2x10s on edge that make up the
beam. The bottom 5" leg will stick out about 12" leaving about 18" of
saddling to marry to the beam.

It sounds like you have thought this out pretty well. Build the saddle
strong and everything will be fine. My suggestion was just a caution
against using two tiny screws and rawlplugs, really. Common sense I
know. I don't know if you'll need a truss for stiffening. Lean on the
beams and see if you can flex them much!

Chris