Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I do this with a nibbler?

I have never used a nibbler, or even seen one used, but I think it
might be just the tool for this job. I am using some aluminum
j-channel, satin anodized, to finish the top edge of some wall
panelling. The customer wants the j-channel bent, not mitered, at
outside corners, since the mitered corners are too sharp. The long
(wall) leg of the channel is about 1 1/4 inch high, the top is about
1/2 inch, and the front vertical part is about 1/2 inch. I need to
remove a section of the wall leg, about 3 inches long, so I can use a
hand notcher I bought to cut out a "vee" in the top leg and then make
the bend. The aluminum is about 1/16 inch thick, and the hand notcher
can just make the cut I need, but I am having trouble removing that 3
inch back section. I've tried making a couple of cuts with Wiss-type
hand shears and bending up the back leg til it breaks off, but it
distorts the channel and stills needs filing to remove 100% of the leg.
Would an air or electric nibbler be able to cut right up to the under
side of the top leg? I suspect that there would be some interference
with the front leg, since the channel is only about 3/8 inch deep,
front to back. I've also seen a hand powered nibbler in pictures, but
would prefer a power tool. Any suggestions? Gary