Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Default engineering calculation needed

Bill Schwab wrote:
Chris,

That depends on whether the tension member is connected directly to
the column. In my idealisation it isn't. The tension member is
connected to the pin. The pin is also connected to the support and the
column. It seems like you are disagreeing with my idealisation, which
is fine, but the FBD is consistent with the idealisation. Perhaps
someone else can offer an opinion on this?

Direct or indirect, it does not matter.

It is neither direct or indirect. If you can visualise the type of ideal
pin joint I'm talking about, the horizontal component of the tension is
not applied to the column at all. It is transmitted around the column
through the joint.

Chris