Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
glensmith

Default Question on starter size

Hi,

I am going to make a phase converter similar to the two stage unit you have.
One thing I have been unable to get a definitive answer on is sizing the
ider starter (mag). So... running a 10HP ider off single phase, do you size
the starter the same as if you were suppling it with 3 phase, or do you have
to up size it as if you were suppling a 10HP single phase.

Your set up is similar in that I what to start a 10HP idler with a size 2
starter (rated 15HP @ 230/3P or 7.5HP @ 230/1P)

Any clear opinions on whether the size 2 is fine or undersized????

Thanks,
Glen
"Ignoramus29580" wrote in message
.. .

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/17.5-Phase-Converter/

I need to do a few extra things, like adding a pushbutton (which I do
not have yet, I bought it on ebay yesterday), some crimpable butt
splices and ring terminals, and preferably adding a second motor
starter instead of a definite purpose contactor. The starter would add
overload protection, which the 10 HP motor has but 7.5 HP motor does
not yet.