Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Default Sink drain giving trouble - water not draining.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Then copious flushing with more hot water, followed by gallons of
cold, and maybe a bit of vinegar to neutralise the alkali,..

Sorry, not having a pop at you, but it always makes me laugh when this idea
is given as a 'trick of the trade' on DIY makeover shows, usually in
connection with stripped pine doors.

Apart from the presenters invariably not knowing their acid from their
alkali and getting it the wrong way round.

You can have no idea of how alkaline the residue is, therefore you can have
no idea how much acidity is required to neutralise it. Caustic soda having
a pH of around 13 and vinegar about 2 probably means you would have to soak
the door in vinegar for a fortnight - which could leave an alkali residue
you would have to neutralise with........

Show me a TV presenter with some Litmus paper or some indicator solution and
it might make sense.

Dave