Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

Default Keyboard amp died

"Hamad bin Turki Salami" bravely wrote to "All" (17 Dec 05 00:49:13)
--- on the heady topic of "Keyboard amp died"

HbTS From: Hamad bin Turki Salami
HbTS Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:351712

HbTS I have a Roland KC100 keyboard amp that died on me. First,
HbTS I started noticing an annoying low level ring from the
HbTS speaker when my keyboard was hooked up. I thought at first
HbTS it was a ground loop, but I couldn't get it to go away.
HbTS Then, the amp started cutting out for brief stretches of
HbTS 2 or 3 seconds. The sound would die out and the power light
HbTS would fade off. But it would usually come back on by itself.
HbTS When it didn't come back, I could sometimes get it back by
HbTS jostling the unit. Finally, it died altogether. When I power
HbTS on, I hear a faint "power on" sound from the speakers, but
HbTS I get no sound from my inputs anymore.

HbTS A guy in a local music store told me, "Sounds like you blew
HbTS a capacitor in your amp."

HbTS Does anyone here have a good idea of what might have happened?

HbTS I have no experience with such things, but I'm hoping I
HbTS might be able to do the repair myself, to save the $100 or
HbTS so a shop would charge me. Does anyone have any comment on
HbTS how advisable that would be or how I'd go about figuring out
HbTS how to fix it?

Just a small analogy to outline the problem:
If you had no experience of brain surgery would you really even
consider attempting it to save money?

Similarly, sophisticated electronics require knowledge to diagnose and
tactile skills to make a repair. There is a steep learning curve to
each too. It isn't brain surgery however but it can't be done without
any experience at all. Forget DIY, send it to the shop.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... [] - Please write your complaint legibly in that box.