Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Sink drain giving trouble - water not draining.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:59:54 +0000, Chris Bacon wrote:

lavenders19 wrote:
I have an issue with the kitchen sink. The water won't drain away.

Has it ever run away properly? If it has, it's probably
now bunged up with something. Try pouring some boiling
water down it, using a plunger, or dismantling the pipe,
if possible.

I simply fill the plughole up with neat dry caustic soda, and dribble a
kettle of hot water on it.

Usual nanny state precautions taken of course according to your paranoaia
level, but do at least wear glasses.

This usually fixes it.
Then copious flushing with more hot water, followed by gallons of cold, and
maybe a bit of vinegar to neutralise the alkali,..