Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skil router problem

On 15 Dec 2005 21:33:14 -0800, wrote:

I have a Dewalt 618 - around $100 reconditioned from Amazon. No
movement whatsoever when it's locked down. I also recently saw a
Dewalt 616 go for about $50 on eBay - same router without variable
speed.
I've also heard good things about Porter Cable and Bosch routers.
Hate to say it, but that's your suggestion.
Andy

I would hesitate to buy power tools (or anything electrical) from
Ebay. I bought a reciprocating saw on there and the entire saw was
literally broken in half. The seller claimed it must have occurred in
shipping. I said the box was intact, the plastic case and the STEEL
HOUSING inside were broken apart. After a big arguement, the guy said
he did notice the screws were loose on the case but he never used the
saw. Yet he had it listed as "in perfect working condition". He
finally agreed to take it back but only refund the sale price, not the
shipping. That meant that it would cost me MORE than I paid for it by
the time I ship it back. Fortunately for me, I bought this saw as a
replacement for the identical saw which I had for years, but I burned
the motor out when cutting down a tree with it. I told the guy I'll
settle for half the cost refunded, if I can keep it, and said I'd send
him a photo of the damage. He finally agreed. I was able to swap the
motors and make a working saw again.

And then there's the computer I bought on Ebay which literally went up
in smoke when I plugged it in. Something in the power supply burnt to
a crisp. Once again, the return shipping would have cost a bundle. I
ended up eating the loss and replaceing the power supply from another
dead computer.

I've come to the conclusion that any electrical stuff sold on Ebay is
someone elses defective junk. You are only buying parts !!!

I will never buy anything electrical from Ebay again.