Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skil router problem

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 00:00:41 GMT, Alfred Loizeaux
wrote:

I have a brand new Skil router Model 1810. It has a lever to lock the base
to the motor after setting the cut depth. With the Base locked to the
motor, I can "rock" the motor within the base enough to move the bit 1/8
inch. Needless to say, this makes a very sloppy cut! I have e-mailed Skil
but they have not yet replied. Anyone have suggestions.

Call them. They will NEVER reply to email, at least nothing more than
a canned reply telling you to call them. There's probably an 800
number on their website, Be warned, they will probably tell you to
call your local service center, and who knows where that will go.
Prepare for the runaround of your life. I think they do that just so
the person gets so tired of the hassle they give up and buy a new
tool.

If it's still within the store limits for returns, return it and get a
refund. Then take that money and double it, and buy a decent brand.
Skil makes the worst power tools sold. Even those generic tools using
the brand name "Tool Shop" are better than Skil. I'd go with
Milwaukee tools, or DeWalt. If you dont want to spend more money, at
least get a Black & Decker, they used to make good tools, but they're
pretty poor quality these days, but still better than Skil.