Posted to alt.electronics
Rich Grise

Default 16F628 in circuit programmer

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:06:35 -0700, wrote:

I've been looking at in circuit programs for a new project I'l like to
start. I reckon I'd need a in circuit programmer as I'm new to the
16h628 and would probably compile my code a few hundred times before it
works

I've been looking at wisp628 (
http://www.voti.nl/wisp628/index.html)
and it looks like the ideal thing. One question I have though is it
looks like you need a programmed 16f628 for the actual programmer. Do I
now have to build a programmer to program the 16f628 so that I can use
it in the in-circuit programmer?

No, you buy the one that comes with the kit, like it says in the first
line of their website, right after the header.

So, yes, you'd have to buy something.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it a good way to do projects?

As long as the circuit itself is already designed, it should be fine.

They tell you how to design your project so that the ICP just plugs
into it.

Should I be looking at something else?

With a standalone programmer, you wouldn't have to build your
circuit in advance - you could breadboard it.

Then again, I suppose you could plug the ICP into the right pins
on the breadboard.

Yeah, go for it. :-)

Have Fun!
Rich