V8TR4

Default Drill chuck for >.020 drill bit

Hi,

What you need is a wire gauge drill chuck. McMaster Carr has them.

Wire Gauge Drill Chuck part# 30505A5 5.97USD

These work great and have a 1/8" shaft, I won't tell you what my wife said
it looked like when she saw it.
I used to use these for dilling printed circuit boards. But as luck would
have it my craftsman 1hp 15" Drill press with 5/8 chuck works great all the
way down to .012, perhaps smaller but I haven't bothered to try.

You could also just buy 1/8" shank bits, but they are costly and might not
be easy to get, though McMaster Carr has them listed as PCB dtill bits. They
are usually very brittle, so be wary.

Good luck
Op

"Ryan" email - wrote in message
I have a requirement to drill brass set screws with a 1/64 drill bit. For
this, I use my lathe and hold the bit in a pin vice in the drill chuck.

For
convenience, I would rather grip the bit directly in a drill chuck.
Therefore, I ordered a LFA chuck, model 81, which lists as having a

capacity
of 0 - .250. However, this chuck will NOT tighten up to the 1/64 bit, but
it does clamp down to about .020. This chuck was about 35 dollars US...
are there any other chucks in this price range which will tighten up right
down to about .010?

Thanks in advance,

RB