Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant

Default Exterior painting - How do you paint the underside of horizontal surfaces?

I'm wondering what I can use in the way of application method to paint
the underside of my roof overhangs, both at the eaves and running up the
side of the gables (between the gable rafters and the walls). Brush,
some kind of roller system, or spray? At the eaves, there are rafter
tails, and I assume I'll use a brush, but painting the bottom of the
soffitts with a brush seems like it would be a messy proposition, with
paint flowing down onto my hand. Is there a method of using a brush that
prevents this?

This area has 1x8 pine boards, some of which are unfinished (just had
roof replaced) and some with very uneven and old paint. I figure to
prime, probably with Tinman's formula, posted in this newsgroup back in
2001:

1). 75% Zinsser's Cover Stain or Pratt & Lambert Suprime.
2). 15% Flood's Penetrol.
3). 10% Naphtha.
4). Add Japan drier (at one ounce per quart).
5). Tint to tonal range of topcoat

I'm not sure what to do about the already painted surfaces. Maybe scrape
or fill or sand, I just don't know. I assume the existing paint has lead
content, since the exterior of this house hasn't been painted since the
1970's, maybe earlier, in all probability.

I'm wondering also how long I can delay painting after applying my prime
coat. Being color blind, I'm hesitant to decide on a color scheme. I
figure I'll probably use a Benjamin Moore acrylic exterior paint,
probably 3 colors - one for walls, one for window frame, another for
sash. Possibly, I'll use the window frame color for the rafters and
soffitt bottoms.

Thanks for any help.

Dan