Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default insulating subfloor

yourname wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
bks wrote:

I am looking to add insulation to a first room floor (100-year-old
farmhouse, full fieldstone basement underneath). Will be removing
carpert and pad (about an 1"), putting down laminate flooring, so
have some room for a layer of insulation.a

Is it possible to put a layer of foam board below a 1/4" layer of ply
prior to flooring? The basement is a rat's nest of wires and pipes.
Maybe even a simple layer of poly would make a huge difference?

FYI: I have already done the walls and sealed all cracked in them and
around pipes. New windows, etc. This is the last frontier.

Thanks.

No, go the proper way and insulate from underneath.

I have one caution however. You say you have pipes in the
basement. Assuming some of those pipes carry water, I suggest that
you make sure you don't insulate so much as to allow some parts of
your basement to go below freezing on the coldest of days anywhere
near any of those pipes.

If the space underneath is not high enough, they will not be able to
spray foam properly[see my older thread]

I have 2 inches of foam under my concrete garage floor, why not under
a house floor?

Too hard to work with and too expensive and if you enclose wires or
pipes, too hard to access them. Also make sure you are using a foam rated
for the use as some are fire hazards.

Other than that foam can be an outstanding insulation.

If you could put up with 3/4 foam plus at least 1/2 plywood, I think
it would work

Fiberglas is the cheapest for its r value, so if you can insulate from
below, fiberglas will be the least expensive.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit