Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris F.

Default RCA 64" Projection TV

Set fixed - I replaced the three NTE 588 diodes in the switching power
supply and everything seems great. Funny though, since the diodes checked OK
on a DMM. Oh well now I know that for next time.
Thanks to all for the advice.

"Chris F." wrote in message
I hate servicing projection sets, but agreed to this one simply because
business is so slow these days. Right away it's obvious I will need some
help:
When I first tried the set, pushing power causes the set to cycle on and

off
very rapidly (for as long as power is held down). I went through the power
supply and tried replacing some caps; now, pushing power starts the set

for
a half second and it shuts right down - and will not try to start again
until the set is unplugged for a minute. Testing has ruled out HV

shutdown.
The first thing I intend to replace is the EEPROM. While I wait for that
to be ordered, can you give me any other advice? The customer said the set
would also go to a black-and-white picture once in a while, and turning it
off for a few minutes would correct the problem (at least for a few more
minutes). So I suspect there may be other problems waiting to be found,

once
the set is brought back to running condition. Or is that perhaps a fault

of
the EEPROM as well??