Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default "Universal" TIG electrodes (tungstens)?

IF your welder does advanced squarewave (AC balance) then if you make
the balance heavy to the EN side you can use reds on aluminum from what
ive been told.

That having been said I own a DC Machine so confirmation would be good
Anything DC i've done fine with 2% thoriated (Red)

Chris wrote:
Looking at some online TIG consumable sellers web sites it seems I can buy
TIG tungstens alloyed to make a universal electrode? I am new to TIG,
having just bought a used Migatronic MTE220. I have received red and white
banded electrodes, but I now wonder if the "grey" banded ones would allow
me to weld aluminium ally, stainless steel and mild steel without buying
several types of tungstens? I will be mainly doing light work on race car
chassis and plumbing / exhausts. Gas will be pure argon, not a mix. Thanks.