Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

Default Furnace Installation....Reasonable price???

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it will be a 100,000 BTU unit.
The load calculation was done (but not in writing). The existing
furnace is 80,000 BTUs. The salesperson mentioned that for our house
(2700 sq.ft) the 80,000 BTU unit will suffice but it would be better to
go to the next higher BTU unit. The price differential between 80,000
and 100,000 is only around $200.

wrote:
Hello,
I am located in Ottawa, Canada. We are thinking of replacing
our 20 yr. old furnace. The old furnace works but we recently had a
couple of service calls and thought best to start looking at
replacement.
Yesterday we were quoted a price of $5000 Canadian dollars
(around $4300 US) for a replacement furnace.
The new furnace will be a high efficiency Carrier Infinity 96
(dual stage heating, variable speed DC motor, 5 yr parts warranty and a
lifetime heat exchanger warranty). This was quoted by a reputable and
large company with offices across the province.
I was wondering if this is a reasonable price.
Thank you.

Why in the world would you want to go to a larger size??
Was the old furnace not keeping up?
Are you adding on to the house?
You said the old furnace was twenty years old, was it a 90% furnace?
If it was an 80% and was heating the house well, you could probably go
SMALLER!!
You do not want to over size a furnace. For the best in fuel efficiency you
want the furnace to size the furnace to run constantly at the coldest days
of the year. Over sizing the furnace will cause shorter run times and higher
gas bills.
Here in North Dakota we take out high BTU furnaces all the time and install
smaller units. .One in particular we took out a 100,000 BTU Lenox and put in
a 60,000 BTU Ruud mod furnace and it heats the house fine. I just replaced
the furnace in my dad's house and put in a 75,000 BTU, 2400 square foot
home. In my home I removed a 80,000 BTU and put in a 60,000 BTU Ruud mod. I
would have gone smaller yet, but Ruud does not build a mod smaller than the
60,000 BTU.
Greg