Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Abby Normal

Default prog. therm. and heat pump questions

I only sold ground source in areas where gas was not available.
Compared to propane, oil and straight electric they are viable.

I had an opportunity to sell one in a gas area and it would have saved
about $100 per year over high-efficiency gas, but talked the customer
out of it as he would have spent perhaps 6 grand more than the gas
furnace with central ac.

John P.. Bengi wrote:
I also know of two ground source units that have bit
the dust and were never replaced due to costs compared
to gas here. I have heard longer life with the ground
source units though. The air source units had too many
freeze up problems with rainy freezing weather then the
"defrost" cycle had to be brought in and the unit was
never big enough to handle the BTU load anyway so the
backup was cutting in from timte to time.

"Abby Normal" wrote in message
oups.com...
Air source were useless in NW Ontario, ground source

worked.
John P.. Bengi wrote:
Slowly but surely, I guess. I become more glad with
each year I didn't indulge.

With NG 1/3 of the price of electricity here, the
reliability very poor, and a complete backup system
required anyway, I doubt they will be selling many

of
them anymore.

Sounded good in the 80s though.

"Abby Normal" wrote in

message

ups.com...
Air source getting yanked out of Southern

Ontario?