Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman

Default NTC 5D-9 Thermistor?

Thanks for the spec sheet, but I'm not sure I can find everything I was
looking for here on that sheet or another I also found via google search.
The sheet clearly answers one question: the "5" in the 5D-9 part identifier
is the resistance in ohms at 25 degrees Centigrade (I assume this is the
startup resistance and that it decreases as the temperature increases due to
current passing through it). If I read the table at the end, it appears
that the steady state "hot" resistance drops to 0.18 ohms, but at what
current, steady state temperature, and how quickly?

More importantly, if I wanted to beef up this part to prevent this from
happening again, what generic parameters should I be looking for in a
thermistor at the local RS store? The 5 ohms and .18 ohm are a good place
to start, but I did not see any type of current limit or power rating
(assuming the .18 ohms) for the device.

Additional answers/advice would be appreciated.

Bob

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Bob Shuman wrote:
Basically, what I am asking is how do I read the 5D-9 value that was
stamped on the old part? Is there a current rating and if so was the
old part consistent with the 6.3A fuse or was it undersized and that
is why it failed after just 3 months of use? Does the "5" in the
first part of the rating indicate the resistance in ohms and if so,
is this the steady state value or at the start up/inrush?

http://www.skceramic.com/pro-ntc_power_kr.htm