Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default A COC muses about armbraces

Thanks to each for your good responses..

Leo, seems like a practical solution to me. Certainly no more silly than
the first vacuum chuck. I fear shear pins more than armrests because
I've been caught up the creek too many times without a paddle ...or a
shear pin for my outboard motor.

George, I did try adding a T coupling and short nipples to make a wing
to slide on the tool rest, but the contraption was too bulky even for
me. What me weld a nice neat wing to a shaft or heaven forbid, buy one?
Anyway, neatness isn't the same as craftsmanship.

Leif, I thought about your torque wrench, good idea. I am trying to
figure how tight to screw the shaft to the handle so it will slip just
before my ulna breaks. Maybe a loose setscrew for a turner wih a screw
loose. Do you have a formula?

Wally, Stewart and Nichols indeed! We have come a long way since those
1/4 hp sleeve bearings Sears Roebuck Dunlaps.

Lobby, Yeah and those happy days when self starters arrived and we don't
mean aggressive yuppies. Slainte.

Joe, Your usual good summation, but you won't make COC at this rate.
Saving fifty bucks by spending hours is a compliment. More to the point
is my saving fifty cents by wasting days. As with turning a nice bowl,
there is a pleasure in making and using a good tool.

Darrell, I thought the 45s made the tool look sporty & streamlined.
I did use 90deg for a pistol grip, I also inserted a T fitting and 4in
nipple for a 90deg up-handle.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter