Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Chimney Lining...

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:38:35 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

I'm thinking of DIYing a chimney lining. (Mostly because I can't get
someone to do it until Feb) Background is that I opened up a fireplace
which had a hideous gas fire, got it swept - sweep suggested a liner
as it looked like it had had a chimney fire in the past - there already
is a register plate and it seems OK, so want to install a wood burner,
but need the liner in.

I've read a few things online & watched someone line another chimney
in the house for a range cooker (big aga-like thing) and it seems fairly
straightforward. Access to the roof will be the hardest part due to the
local topology, but ought to be managable.

Put the liner in, fill with vermiculite, seal it up, put pot back on,
connect stove and off I go?

So any gotchas, pointers, etc. ?

Cheers,

Gordon

Might pay you to ge a new double insulated pipe scetioned thing...rather
than install a flexible.

You have to drop from the top dowm. Really needs scaffolding.

Easy unles your flue is kinky. Then you have serious problems.