Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.real-estate-agents
Todd H.

Default HOAs - your opinions?

writes:
If you are buying a singe family house, I can't fathom why anyone
would consider buying one that required being in an HOA. In a Condo
community, I could see why, but surely Denver has areas where one
could buy a single family home without being in an HOA.

In Chicagoland if you want a house in a planned development (as most
are) that's less than 20 years old, HOA's are almost universal. Older
homes, or homes that are tear downs in older neighborhoods, are not.

If you are going to spend a good deal of money on a house, you
should have free reign over the decisions concerning the house.

How excited would you be about that free rein if your idiot neighbor
decides to exercise it by putting at 1950's automobile up on blocks in
the driveway for 5 months, decides that mowing their lawn is so
1990's, and paints their house lime green the same year you decide to
sell your house?

One man's free rein is their neighbor's friggin nightmare.

And don't forget, nearly half of all potential neighbors are by
definition, have below average taste.

So unless the lot is big enough so that you don't get impacted by a
neighbor's decisions on such things, I might consider that folks might
not mind HOA's so much. :-)

HOA's are not the norm in most parts of the country.

In metropolitan areas the size of Denver or better, I challenge that
assertion and would want to see data before granting that one.

It's not difficult to see why. Look elsewhere, I'd say.

Darren
Licensed Real Estate Agent, NY

I wouldn't expect this extreme a stance from a Realtor, honestly. To
have ones own opinions is one thing, but to discount the possibility
that some potential clients might not mind a HOA seems pretty myopic
for a professional real estate agent.

The 50% rule applies to that profession as well, though.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/