Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant

Default Roof Pitch for Standard Shingles

On 14 Dec 2005 19:29:40 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

:
:mm wrote:
: On 14 Dec 2005 12:47:25 -0800, wrote:
:
: Actually, looks more than 1 in 6 pitch, to me, the lower limit for
: 3-tab.
:
: Instead of your eyeballing it, and others of us who don't want to
: being expected to go look at a file, why didn't the OP just measure it
: and tell us?
:
:No need. From the scale of the door and the window on the side the
:addition is roughly 8' deep. Count the number of 4" courses of the
:vinyl siding. The rise is roughly six courses (24"). 24"/8 = ~3" rise
:in 12" ~3/12
:
:It's definitely at the very low end of what's acceptable for 3-tab
:shingles. With such a gentle pitch I would have covered the entire
:roof with Ice & Water Shield before shingling.
:
:To the OP: you are the proud owner of a classic, roof wide ice dam.
:Strip the shingles, inspect the OSB (if it's really that saturated, it
:may have a lot of rot and be too far gone to save - replace as
:necessary), check the flashing at the top end to make sure the schmucks
:didn't cut corners up there, too, install Ice & Water Shield or
:Weatherguard underlayment with aluminum drip edging along all roof
:edges, shingle.
:
:R
I would have guessed 3/12, but RicodJour came to the rescue and proved
it. For the shingles just installed on my roof (Elk), 3/12 is acceptable
but only if they use double underlayment. In fact, my roofer didn't do
that and I made him tear off a section that I measured at 2.7/12, and
install double underlayment. Water shield is also a good idea. If your
roof is still under warranty, you might be able to get the roofer to
repair this, especially if it wasn't installed in accordance with
shingle manufacturer's installation specifications, which was the case
with my roof.

Dan