Jeff Wisnia

Default Drill chuck for >.020 drill bit

Ryan wrote:

I have a requirement to drill brass set screws with a 1/64 drill bit. For
this, I use my lathe and hold the bit in a pin vice in the drill chuck. For
convenience, I would rather grip the bit directly in a drill chuck.
Therefore, I ordered a LFA chuck, model 81, which lists as having a capacity
of 0 - .250. However, this chuck will NOT tighten up to the 1/64 bit, but
it does clamp down to about .020. This chuck was about 35 dollars US...
are there any other chucks in this price range which will tighten up right
down to about .010?

Thanks in advance,

RB

Why not return that chuck you bought, get your money back (and if you bitch
enough about the incorrect specs, maybe they'll give back the shipping both ways
too.) and pick up a little "reducer chuck" like this one:

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/60301.html

I'm not sure what you meant by "convenience", but one of those reducer chucks
with a 1/64" drill in it might be easier to grab in your regular chuck than a
pin vise.

IMHO it'd be easier to find and stick that assembly in your regular chuck than
scratching around trying to pick up just the tiny drill. I'm having trouble
spotting things that thin these days, without resorting to a headband magnifier.

FWIW. the protrusion of the drill bit would repeat pretty well if you bottomed
out the reducer chuck against the jaws of your regular chuck, if that's any help
to you.

Goof luck,

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"I before E except after C"....(The height of insufficient weird ancient
science...)