Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

Default Insuring a vacant house

wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:06:41 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm in the process of moving across the country, am selling my present
home. Called my insurance agent today (Farmer's) to tell him of the
move, thinking some adjustment to the home owner's policy would be
required (on the one hand the house is vacant, so presumably more
vulnerable, on the other it's empty, so no content is there to be
harmed) he told me they will not insure an empty house & as far as he
knows no one will. I almost wish I had not mentioned it, but you can
be sure if I hadn't & the damn place had burned down, they wouldn't
have paid anyway if they found out it was vacant. Anyway, anyone have
any advice on insuring an empty house while it is on the market?

My cottage is empty 9 months a year, and much of the other 3 months as

well.
Insurance company never said anything about it; the rates are pretty

normal.

Try another company.
It is certainly best that you mentioned it; if there is a clause in your
policy about it, they would just deny the claim.

America used to be a free country until all the insurance companies
took over our lives. Any freedoms that remained were given to the
republican party to destroy.

Not quite. It's not the political parties fault. It may the the fault of
capitalism...

Hpw many years habve you had this sleazy company? I bet you paid them
lots of money too, and got little back. I'm not sure what you can do
now, but once you are moved, be sure to pay back the favor and tell
Farmers Insurance that you bought your insurance elsewhere for your
new home. Also ne sure to notify everyone on the internet how this
company ****ed you in the ass. Aftrer reading this, I will be sure to
never get insurance from Farmers Ins.

You gotta look at the track record of vacant houses. It sits vacant for a
week with no lights, no movement, etc, someone's going to take notice.
Vandalism, who knows? Someone moved into a vacant house in my former
neighborhood and set up house. "We bought it" was their answer when asked.
When the sheriff showed up to evict them, they claimed squatter rights after
8 months. Nope.

The insurance company is out there to make a profit for themselves and their
shareholders.