Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default A COC muses about armbraces

(Arch) wrote:

What are the real advantages and potential dangers, _IF ANY, of bracing
a long heavy tool that's hidden inside a hollow form, against your
partially captured forearm? Maybe "partially" is the catchword or is
the risk of fracture just another myth?

Arch, I imagine you remember starting a car with a hand crank. I've started
a car with a hand crank and started an airplane by hand spinning the prop.
In both instances I figured I could fracture an arm, or worse, if my
attention wandered for an instant. Starting the car or plane was not
optional. When I look at the arm brace tool holder, I see something waiting
to eat my arm. And it's optional.

Just my tuppence ha'penny.