Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Wally

Default A COC muses about armbraces

Arch, there is a certain amount of danger in using the arm brace in a
deep piece. I have a Stewart tool with a lot of mileage on it. The
standard "hooker" is 14 inches. Dennis also sells one that's 21 inches,
and I have one. If you get a catch when you're working 16 inches or
more off the tool rest it can be a dandy. Very arm-wrenching! I speak
from experience.

Perhaps a captive tool such as the Jamieson is the answer for some
people. There are other makes on the market. I have one made by John
Nichols. I feel a lot more secure when working inside a deep piece with
that than with the Stewart.

Wally