Posted to rec.woodworking
TheNewGuy

Default Worm Holes In Old Oak

I have some walnut that came from a log, resawn by a friend. Noticed
some "bug holes" and so I removed the bark before stickering. But
still, there's new activity - sawdust piles, some larvae bodies that
"fell out" after the resaw, and some other small bugs that have
emerged; holes are 1/32", no more than 1/16" diameter.

So, the boards are too big for a freezer or microwave; this idea of
brushing on mineral spirits sounds like the trick!! I was orginally
thinking of tenting and using the out-gasses of either liquid chlorine
bleach, or the bleach tablets we use for our pool (man, open that
container and you better be holding your breath if you don't want to
sear your lungs!)

Any opinions on mineral spirits v. "bug bomb" v. my chlorine approach
(NOT chlorine gas, mind you...)

Chris