Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Default Rogers News Groups

Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
WillR wrote:

Swingman wrote:

I have been very happy with GigaNews and have heard nothing but good things
about SuperNews. IMO, just stay FAR away for MegaNetNews (MegaNONews is more
like it).

Any comments on Easynews from anyone?

http://easynews.com/

The *big* players in outsourced news service a

SuperNews
GigaNews
EasyNews

much smaller, but also very good, is:
Newsguy

To stay away from:

Meganewsservers -- they operate a number of services under the
'mega-{something}' labels, and, unfortunately, are _really_
lacking in the required skill-sets for those services.
I _left_ my prior ISP *because* they switched to "meganews"
for their news server service.

A year or so ago, Easynews was having some problems -- news volume had
gotten ahead of their system capabilities, and they were trying to
play catch up. Which is a somewhat difficult problem, because 'adequate'
resources is a moving target. wry grin

They _were_ going to get things back under control, it was just a question of
how long it was going to take. Until they got back on top of things, Until
such time as they do/did get things under control, I couldn't recommendthem
in good faith, to anyone. I *don't* know -- haven't kept up with -- their
current situation, but I strongly suspect that they are 'back in good form'

SuperNews is the 'class act' of the bunch, and is the 'industry standard'
against which everybody else is measured -- *especially* with regard to
their ability to suppress *almost*all* of the 'spam' and similar pollution
of the newsgroups.

I've used Newsguy and SuperNews, they're both first-rate in my experience.
No experience with GigaNews or EasyNews, but aside from the _old_ info on
EasyNews' tech difficulties, I've heard nothing but _good_stuff_ about
both of them.

I haven't heard any body who had *anything*good* to say about Meganewsservers,
on the other hand.

Thanks. Seems to confirm my suspicions...

I would have preferred Easynews -- but the billing doesn't work for
business purposes. Supernews or GigaNews I guess. Rogers should shut off
any hour/minute/second now. I'll get every byte I can -- considering
they just reduced the value of the service by about 20% per year and
will be collecting the same money. :-(

You have a slightly different take than these guys -- but close enough
-- eh?

http://www.newsgroupservers.net/

--
Will R.