Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

Default Dumb "current transformer" questions

If I understand you corrrectly, you mean to parallel a load resistor with a
rectified meter. That certainly should be good as long as the resistor value
is low enough and it does not get disconnected. The resistor should take the
majority of the secondary current.
Don Young
"Ignoramus19198" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:41:09 -0600, Don Young wrote:
Keep in mind that the burden (load) on a current transformer increases as
the secondary load resistance increases.

Yes.

Keep the resistance as low as possible and still develop adequate
measurable output.

I agree.

I have never seen current transformers without a
either a resistor or coil directly across the secondary, but it
might be done. I think that unloading the secondary, even
momentarily until diodes are forward biased, is not a very good
idea. Depending on diodes and or long leads to a meter seems
unnecessarily risky. An unloaded secondary can develop destructively
high voltages across the secondary and high voltage drops in the
primary along with excessive heating of the transformer. Ideally,
current transformers should have zero volts across both primary and
secondary. Don Young Don Young "Ignoramus19198"

I think that what I could easily do, is parallel a higher resistance
diode so that it is parallel to the rectifier bridge. Then, while the
diodes in the bridge are recovering, this higher resistor would
momentarily take on current. (which is low since we are talking about
a transition of sinewave AC)

wrote in message
.. . On Wed, 14
Dec 2005 08:39:24 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote: Nick Müller wrote: Jim Stewart
wrote:

Yes, assuming that you haven't exceeded the primary
or secondary current ratings for the transformer.

Wouldn't a hall sensor do a better job?
I mean with all the square wave and changing frequency a current
transformer seems to be not the best choice.
And if he is in DC ...

Well, since it is Iggy that posted the question,
he probably has a big bag of surplus CT's that
he bought for $.50 (:

No, I only have very few CTs, I need to use them for my phase
converter measurements.