Jack Erbes

Default What oil do I use to 'Temper' steel?

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:01:19 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
.. .
W-1 is quenched in brine, not water. The brine can be made by
dissolving as much salt as the amount of water you are using will
take.

..And then cutting it 1:1 with straight water.

I just checked the Brownells catalog. I was wrong about the brine
being saturated. It was a 8 percent solution and made with 3/4 lb. of
rock salt and 1 gallon of water. I remember I scaled it down and made
a pint of brine and it lasted me for several years. I only made small
parts and only occasionally.

It worked good though. I learned the hard way not to test a firing
pin until after I tempered it. I let the hammer fall on an empty
chamber while fitting a pin in a single shot rifle and when the firing
pin body stopped the tip kept on going.

I like the caution in the Brownells catalog in the tempering
instructions, it says you can use a conventional oven for some
tempering but "DO NOT USE A MICROWAVE!".