Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB

Default engineering calculation needed

"Ned Simmons" wrote

Case 3e, Chapter 5, Roark's 6th edition - concentrated
moment on a simply supported beam. The angular deflection
at the end of the tube adjacent to the triangle is .0188
radian = 1.08 degrees; .68" deflection at the winch's
attachment point 36" from the vertical tube.

Ned Simmons

This is a HF winch with two attachment points. The one closest to the end
would be about 2'6" from the vertical, and the other, about 8" closer to the
vertical than that. I really don't want to put the winch all the way out,
but only as far as needed to clear the rail when I swing the load into the
deck.

I am going to have to make two new hangers, as HF gives you two for 2" round
stock. I CAN slide the winch out so that the drum actually goes PAST the
tip of the horizontal, but don't want to do that until after testing. At
the point of sliding it out, the hanger would hit the diagonal coming down.

Just gonna have to build this puppy, hook it up, get to a safe place, and
watch what happens.. Just like in real life. Can't really do a test until
failure, as some of the components are holding up my roof and

Steve