Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default engineering calculation needed

In article ,
says...

I don't believe this matters. The formula gives the deflection of the
cantilever tip relative to the root. It doesn't matter which moves. You
can build a system of guide rails such that a pin joint is at the fixed
end of the cantilever, and the root is allowed to move transversely, but
not rotate. In this case the formula is still valid, and this is the way
in which I'm using it here.

If anyone has a counter argument or proof I'd be very interested to hear
it.

The original problem, which you've represented accurately
in your first sketch, is a simply supported beam with a
moment applied at one end. You've replaced the beam, which
was previously supported at both ends, with a cantilever.
The moment has become a concentrated force applied at the
opposite end. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary
proofs.

Or if anyone does the calculation by different means I'd like to
know your result, too.

Case 3e, Chapter 5, Roark's 6th edition - concentrated
moment on a simply supported beam. The angular deflection
at the end of the tube adjacent to the triangle is .0188
radian = 1.08 degrees; .68" deflection at the winch's
attachment point 36" from the vertical tube.

Ned Simmons