Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Use of chocolate block?

John Rumm has brought this to us :
Patrick wrote:

What I did and I'm just wanting to check that this was a legitimate thing
to do was to use a 15amp chocolate block to combine the mains cables
together (3 live into one and 3 neutral into another) I then got some ring
mains cable from homebase and used a few inches of this to connect the
chocolate blocks to the feed of the fused spur.

Is this ok?

Sounds fine in principle, although I would probably have used 30A chocky
blocks.

I suspect the rating is only a guide to the size of cable it can be
used with, rather than an absolute rating for the connector. Many of
these appear to be brass plated steel anyway. If the hole is large
enough, most of the contact area will be due to contact between the
actual cables. I dislike the use of the cheaper chocolate blocks anyway
for higher currents as the slightest resistance can generate heat and
the plastic used has quite a low melting point.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)