Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Rod Speed

Default Heat your house with corn?

jw wrote
wrote

I'm curious. Are you a small farmer (own use only) or selling
on the market? Other examples I've read come out the other
way. But I'm not in that farming industry so I don't have any
way of sorting out the nonsense from the special interests.

Matter of relativity, but I am considered a small farmer by most. I run
280 acres of cash crop(mix of field corn, soybeans, sweet corn, sweet peas).

I'm still not at all supportive of the subsidies. Paying money
to keep the price high just doesn't work. And whatever the
tax mechanism, tax money is going in there somewhere.

I don't want to turn this into a big debate about subsidies
and everything they represent. Most of it is a perpetuation
of misconceptions and half-truths by the media.

Irrelevant to the fact that subsidys exist.

I recieve very little to none from the government.

Wrong when the protectionism involved with imports are included.

Most years I recieve nothing from the government.

Wrong when the protectionism involved with imports are included.

Some years I get a little. Certain portions of the industry
do recieve large subsidies. Corn is not one of them.

Wrong again with the totality of subsidys.

FWIW, I am against subsidies for the most part. I understand
why they were implemented and support the intention behind
them. However, like most government programs it has been
corrupted by cronyism and pork barrelling.

Based on what I read on labels, most pesticides I believe
are petroleum-sourced. Organic controls will be different.

Most are some derivitive of an amino acid complex.
Where this amino acid base comes from varies.

Not with bulk ag pesticides.

Some are naturally derived,

Not with bulk ag pesticides.

some are sythesized from various sources.

Almost all of which do basically come from oil.

Like I said previously, I don't know the exact chemical
process and root stock used for each pesticide.

That's always been obvious.

Depending on where you grow the corn, irrigation
and its water/energy costs will factor in.

Not a factor for me.

You are completely irrelevant. What matters is what is
done with the bulk of corn that is used as a heating fuel.

Not far away from me it is. On the sandy ground
irrigation is the only way to grow a crop. Where
I am at, we can attain 200+ bu/acre w/o it.

See above.