Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

Default Insuring a vacant house

On 15 Dec 2005 08:01:16 -0800, wrote:

I'm in the process of moving across the country, am selling my present
home. Called my insurance agent today (Farmer's) to tell him of the
move, thinking some adjustment to the home owner's policy would be
required (on the one hand the house is vacant, so presumably more
vulnerable, on the other it's empty, so no content is there to be
harmed) he told me they will not insure an empty house & as far as he
knows no one will. I almost wish I had not mentioned it, but you can
be sure if I hadn't & the damn place had burned down, they wouldn't
have paid anyway if they found out it was vacant. Anyway, anyone have
any advice on insuring an empty house while it is on the market?

TIA

Rick

Ran into the same problem when my Father passed away... they would no
longer insure the vacant house .... Solved the problem by giving the
key to a niece (adult, married, trustworthy, etc)... and charging her
rent ( like a buck) ...

Honest that is all the insurance company required...for the house to
be ...considered "occupied"... ???? BTW she never stayed in the
house... But did live within 10 minutes of it...

Bob G.