Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Insuring a vacant house

Not recent, but a few years ago my agent told me they would only
insure it against fire/theft if it was temporarily unoccupied. No
contents, hail, roof claims, etc etc; so it was minimal, but it
was insurance. Maybe he thought you were abandoning it? Are
taxes in arrears? Don't answer that; just being rhetorical.

I'd ask around; that doesn't sound right.

I believe that "vacant" and "unnoccupied" are terms-of-art,
the former meaning you've left and don't plan on coming back,
and the latter meaning that you do plan on coming back.

If you don't have any luck with an independant insurance
agent, try looking at commercial policies. Are you
looking for asset-protection or liability coverage? A regular
umbrella policy should cover the latter.