Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Insuring a vacant house

wrote in message
oups.com...
: I'm in the process of moving across the country, am selling my
present
: home. Called my insurance agent today (Farmer's) to tell him
of the
: move, thinking some adjustment to the home owner's policy would
be
: required (on the one hand the house is vacant, so presumably
more
: vulnerable, on the other it's empty, so no content is there to
be
: harmed) he told me they will not insure an empty house & as far
as he
: knows no one will. I almost wish I had not mentioned it, but
you can
: be sure if I hadn't & the damn place had burned down, they
wouldn't
: have paid anyway if they found out it was vacant. Anyway,
anyone have
: any advice on insuring an empty house while it is on the
market?
:
: TIA
:
: Rick
:

Not recent, but a few years ago my agent told me they would only
insure it against fire/theft if it was temporarily unoccupied. No
contents, hail, roof claims, etc etc; so it was minimal, but it
was insurance. Maybe he thought you were abandoning it? Are
taxes in arrears? Don't answer that; just being rhetorical.

I'd ask around; that doesn't sound right.

Pop