Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mel

Default Sylvania SRD 4900 combo vcr/dvd player -- dead

On 13 Dec 2005 16:20:35 -0800, "
wrote:

What gave you the idea that the power supply was not working?.....

Many thanks for your response to my question about the non-working
sylvania vcr/dvd combo machine.
May I try your patience by describing some more details?

Since both the vcr and the dvd sections are not working, it seemed to
me that the power supply is the culprit since it is common to both of
them. The power led works, but it's on all the time regardless of the
power switch setting. The two led's that show which of the vcr or dvd
sections is chosen also work. So I know that the switch selecting
between the vcr and the dvd sections works. None of the other
switches cause anything to happen that I can see. The dvd drawer
doesn't open when its switch is activated. It's impossible to insert
a vcr cassette since the cassette carrier is blocked by a finger that
I suppose is activated electrically.
When I connect the rf output to my tv, there is no on-screen display.
I haven't tried the video output yet. (My tv does not have a video-in
input, but I intend to try the video output by getting hold of a
modulator.)

Is it worth pursuing this?

Mel Levine