Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default A COC muses about armbraces

I plan to make some inserted bit hollowing tools with arm braces. Two
45deg. 1/2 in pipe couplings and a 6 in nipple for the 'Z' and a 10 in
nipple padded with tape for its tail. I use 3/4 CR bar pipe-threaded for
the 1/2 in coupling at one end and drilled for a bit and tapped for a
setscrew at the other end. Ugly? Yep.

I'm considering whether or not to add a cupped forearm brace or just
make a long paddle to rest against my body. I run a little scared of my
store-bought armbrace because I figure that if it really does brace, I
could fracture my arm with a bad catch. If a shallow cup releases my arm
and can't hurt me with a bad catch then does it brace or just align the
tool and mostly give me a sense of security? I suppose that a catch
basically drives the bit down and the handle up, but If the brace moves
laterally holding a captured forearm is flesh or steel the winner?

OTOH, I haven't heard of any injuries due to using an armbrace and many
beginners as well as competent experienced turners use them, including
those who sell them.

What are the real advantages and potential dangers, _IF ANY, of bracing
a long heavy tool that's hidden inside a hollow form, against your
partially captured forearm? Maybe "partially" is the catchword or is
the risk of fracture just another myth?

This post reminds me Kevin, isn't it time for annual nominations to the
Order of COC? Maybe if we would have them, no one would want to join.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter